Hayden Family History

 

THE WATFORD/HERTFORDSHIRE BRANCH, OUR COUSINS

 

HEYDONS IN ENGLAND

 

First written by Rev. Wm. Hayden, 1877, copied by Mina Pomeroy in 1915 and updated further in 2002. Thomas G. Keys, Hayden Family

 

THE AMERICAN BRANCH OF THIS WATFORD LINE ARE THE HAYDENS OF MARYLAND AND PROBABLY KENTUCKY.  ITALICS ARE MINE. T.G.K.

 

            The exact connection of this branch with the Norfolk line is nowhere distinctly stated in the authorities consulted; but from a careful comparison of names and dates, with attendant circumstances, appears to be as follows

 

Do not confuse these sets of John, William, Richard, etc with any of those with the same names of the Norfolk Line or the Devon Line. The Heydons/Haydons/Haydens loved to use these same names repetitively. 

 

           Sir Richard Heydon, second son of Simeon Heydon, (see NORFOLK LINE REPORT), the 4th heir of the Norfolk Line, lost his life, pretty well advanced in age in 1370, during the wars, which King Edward III and the Black Prince waged in those days against France.  At that time the Manor of Cassiobury, at Watford, was a Royal Domain (It belonged to the King).  The Black Prince died in 1376, and King Edward died the next year, June 1377.  We find no record of the Heydons at Watford until later in the year of 1400 when a John Heydon, the first of the Watford Branch, died there, possessed of that portion of the old Manor of Cassiobury which is known as "The Grove" and which is now, 1877, the seat of the present Earl Clarendon.  According to a later report, the Heydon family held this manor directly of the King “by fealty, suit of court, and an annual rent of thirty-seven shillings and two pence.” John Thomas Mott, son of G. Thurston, had inherited and was in possession when we were there.  It would seem, therefore, that this John Heydon was the son of Sir Richard, who was the son of Simeon #4 of the NORFOLK LINE. (See #4 on that report). John probably had this manor conferred upon him by the king directly at a nominal rent, in consideration of his father’s services in the wars.  It is spoken of both by Clutterbuck and Chauncey as the “ancient seat of the family of Heydons.”  We have then,

 

1.         John Heydon  born-? Possessed in 1400, as the head of this line, that portion of the old manor of Cassiobury known as The Grove.  It had at one time been "Royal Domain" and was probably given to John in behalf of his father's war services. His wife's name was Joan (last name?) Some accounts say he lived until March 1, 1408. The inscription in the church here, now covered by the organ, is, according to Weaver, as follows: Here lyeth John Heydon of the Grove Esquyre, who died 1400.  He was succeeded by his son: (Who?) We next have 1 or 2 missing generations for 100 years. 

 

2.         William Heydon, (Sr,) of the Grove. Esq., who with his mother Joan, rebuilt or restored, in honor of his father, the small chapel dedicated to St. Katherine, on the south side of the chancel in Watford Church, Hertfordshire, and placed there a tablet with an inscription.  His arms are carved in stone under the capital of one of the pillars, which separate this chapel from the chancel.  “Here lyeth William Hayden of New Streets Esquire and Ioane (Joan) his mother who buylded the South Isle of this church and dyed

Anno.1505” There is also a separate tomb: “Here lyeth William Heydon 1500.       

 

 

3.         William Heydon, (Jr.) of the Grove, Esq., who died in April, 1515 and, according to Solomon’s History of Hertfordshire County, London, 1728, was buried in Westminster Abbey.  He married the daughter of Robert Aubrey, of the county of Bucks, (Dalley, Middlesex-?) by whom he had the son who succeeded him, viz.,

 

 

4.         William Heydon (3rd) of the Grove who married Alice, daughter of Alexander Newton.of Sowell, Somersetshire.  William’s will is dated May 8, 37th year of King Henry VIII, 1546.  William died the next year then, 1547.  He appears to have left several sons, for the one who succeeded him is called “his eldest son and heir.”  

 

5.         Henry Heydon of the Grove, born 1508/09, died 1588, who was 38 years old at his fathers death, and married Anne, daughter and heir of Edward Twybee or Twynhoe of Shipton, county of Gloucestershire.  His son and heir was:                  

 

6.         Francis Heydon, (no dates, but buried on July 25, 1606) of the Grove, Esq., who married Frances, daughter of Arthur Longueville, Esq. She was born in Woolverton, Buckinghamshire.  She was buried Oct. 14, 1598 at Watford. Her parents were Arthur Longueville and Anne Middleton.    In the 25th Elizabeth, 1583, Francis Haydon was constituted Sheriff of this county. (Hertfordshire) Arms—quarterly, argent and azure, a cross-engrailed counterchanged; crest-a talbot passant spotted sable.  By an indenture dated Sept. 30, 1602, (44 Elizabeth), this Francis conveyed (sold) the Manor/the Grove, to Sir Clement Scudamore, who again, in 1631, sold it to the Ashtons.  The Heydons possessing other property in Watford remained there after the sale.  His 5 sons were Edward, (Sr). Bap. Dec 3, 1561; Jeronomy, Charles, Henry, and Francis. He also had 4 daughters (no names listed) All 9 children's baptismal dates are listed in Clutterbuck.  The family owned and built “Watford Place, New Street,” and, according to the accounts, the eldest son succeeded to that property, who was next:

 

7.         Edward Heydon, (Sr.?) born ca. 12/3/1561 as was baptized Dec.3, 1561, at Watford; married Nov. 17, 1597 at Watford to Frances Burr.  He died on -? of New Street, Esq. His arms are given as “quarterly, or and azure, a cross engrailed, quarterly counterchanged; crest on a wreath, a talbot passant, argent spotted sable.” He was succeeded by,(#8) Michael the eldest son and heir of Watford.  A younger son was named Edward Hayden (Jr.) born 1602 who later married Ellenor Whitehead at Watford, Hertfordshire and their son is: 

 

THE AMERICAN MARYLAND BRANCH STARTS HERE 

 

Francis Hayden baptized Aug. 14, 1628, Immigrated to St. Mary's County, died in 1697 in Maryland. He married Thomasin Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, (she died 1702.).    Listed as the first Hayden in Maryland. One son, William  immigrated to Westmoreland County, Virginia. 

 

William Hayden born 1674/5 died 1733 married #1 ?, Married # 2 Elizabeth  no dates.Their son: 

 

George Hayden Born ca 1719, Died 1754, St. Mary's County Maryland, 1st wife -?-  2nd wife Charity no dates. Their son: 

 

Basil Hayden Sr. born Jan 2, 1744 in St.Mary's County Maryland, died June 1804 in Marion County, Kentucky, married in 1771 to Henrietta Cole daughter of Robert Cole and Ann Greenwell. 

             

            END OF MARYLAND REPORT 

 

Now, back to the main English genealogy report continuing forward from # 7 Edward Heydon.(Sr.) 

 

 

#8.       (Continued from # 7 above) Michael Heydon, (no dates). Who, Dec.18, 1614 granted a lease of “Watford Place, situated in New Street, with its appurtenances, for the term of an hundred years, at the yearly rental of 8 pounds,” to Lady Morrison, who “placed therein Thomas Valentine, A.M. Preacher of God’s Word, and four poor women, in several rooms, parcel of said messuage, * to continue therein during their lives and good behavior; and intended that after their departure thence other like learned preachers and poor widows should be successively placed in their stead during the term of the lease.”  (*Messuage-A dwelling house with its adjacent buildings and land assigned to the use of those who live in it.)

(Sounds like cooking, scrubbing, laundry and lots of drudgery to me.)  On inquiry in Watford in May 1877, I find the old building there, and the charity to the “four poor women” continued.  There was at Watford a Daniel Heydon as late as 1765; but I find none later than that.  

 

Watford church. -Says Clutterbuck, “This church, which is dedicated to St Mary.  Stands at the upper end of the town, on the west side of the main street.  It is constructed of flints and stones loosely cemented together and covered with a coat of plaster; and consists of a square tower surmounted by a short spire, a nave, and two side aisles, and a chancel, with its adjacent chapels, covered with lead.  The east end of the nave is terminated by a handsome gallery built with oak and supported by pillars of the same material, which was erected in the year 1766.  On the south side of the church is a small aisle or chapel dedicated to St. Katherine.”

            This is the chapel spoken of as having been rebuilt by William Heydon, and which contains the tablets of the Heydons for many generations.  The inscriptions are now mostly effaced; and the new organ placed there within a year or two occupies this chapel, and so nearly fills it- a margin of only 3 or 4 inches remaining around it-that it is impossible now to examine the Heydon monuments.  The monuments of the Earls of Essex occupy the chapel on the opposite side.

 

Our visit to Watford was in May, 1877, when by an introduction obtained through our good friend Dr. Charles R. Coffin of London, we were kindly allowed by Lord and Lady Clarendon to view every portion of their fine estate and mansion, “The Grove”; and at the vicarage were kindly received and shown through it by the Rev. R. L. James, the present incumbent, who also placed the records of the parish before us, and added from his own knowledge a number of interesting facts to our information.  

 

 Colonel Bulwer’s book on the Heydon Pedigree contains the record of a will of Joanne Haydon of Witcombe, in the parish of Hinton Blewitt, county of Somerset, widow, dated Jan5, 1637. 

 

Joane Haydon Funeral Notice 

Joane (Tegge) Haydon, married in 1570 to John Haydon of Witcombe, parish of Hinton Blewet, Somerset County, to be buried April 4, 1638 in Chewton Churchyard. They had 4 living sons listed below and 1 daughter listed below.  The will was proven Jan 5, 1637.

 

Children of Roger Tegge, Sr. (Joane's brothers and sisters)  receive portions of Joanne Tegge Haydon estate as follows:

Mary Tegge                   

Frances (girl) Tegge,

Elizabeth Tegge,            

Hanna Tegge

Thomas Tegge,

William Tegge

Roger Tegge, Jr.

Amy or Anaye Hayden Tegge, daughter of Joanne who is also wife of Roger Tegge, Jr.

Amy/Anaye is also listed as sole executor of estate. This is strange that ALL 4 Haydon boys got their "legs chopped off at the knees." 

The 4 sons of John Haydon and Joanne listed below receive portions:

William Haydon baptized Jan. 14, 1571                    

 John Haydon  , baptized - 11, 1576  ………………..He married Christian Webb in 1605.                         

Richard Haydon, baptized Sept 15, 1572/3                 

James Haydon, baptized July 25, 1574                        

Matthew Haydon (deceased)

Mary Clarke and Elizabeth Haydon, daughters of deceased Matthew to receive portions.             Johanne Heydon, daughter of Thomas Haydon, a near relative, to receive portion      France Poole, wife of Joseph Poole/portion

Tobias Tegge and Edward Volesa, overseers.

Witness, John Gervos and William Earle.  (Proved P.U.C.  31 May, 1638

 

            Please note that the William, John, and James above are NOT the 3 emigrants to America as by 1630 they all would have been between 55 and 60 years old and all 3 were actually  "young men of the Devon Line". 

 

The Haydon family left Witcombe in the seventeenth century; and beyond a field still known by the name of Heydon’s/Haydon's Mead, is a small brook or a gully, of which tradition says one of the Heydon/Haydon family who was a Royalist officer lay hidden for some weeks in 1645, and still called Heydon’s gully.  Nothing seems to remain of them in the parish. The Parliamentarians were in control and killing off the Royalists. 

 

The Grove was sold Sept 30, 1602 to Sir Clement Scudamore who sold it in 1631 to the Ashton Family,  By 1877, the Grove belonged to the Earl of Clarendon. 

 

Ancient trivia not able to relocate and insert: 

 

 In 1572, a Thomas Haydon married Johan/Joan Edgill, and they had a daughter Frances, baptized in 1573, and a son, William, baptized 1575.

 

 In 1612, a John Haiden/Haydon, son of Richard and Agnes Haiden, was baptized.  In 1613, William and Sara Haydon had a son called John.

 

 In 1630, there is a burial of “John Haydon the elder.”

 

End of Watford Report

 

 

 

 

END OF WATFORD REPORT-

Page 1
Watford Branch
Site Map

The text in this column can be edited quickly and easily by going to the Page Layout tab and clicking on the Designer button in the Left Panel section.